632 East Highway N
Wentzville, Mo 63385

Church: 636-327-4416
School: 636-639-9887
Fax: 636-639-9944



   History of Immanuel
 

1874 The German Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church of Wentzville was organized November 7th. The Rev. Fredreich W.G. Matuschka of New Melle served the congregation.

1880 The Rev. Theodore Masse was installed as the first resident pastor.

1880 Opened a Christian Day School

1885 The Rev. P.E. Beil was installed as pastor and teacher.

1889 Immanuel Lutheran Church became a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

1890 Rev. A. Schupmann was installed as pastor and teacher.

1895 Rev. H.J. Mueller was installed as pastor and teacher.

1899 A new church building was dedicated on November 12th.

1900 A new parsonage and the first school building were dedicated.

1911 The Ladies Aid Society was organized October 20th.

1915 Rev. H.J. Mueller resigned due to ill health.

1915 Rev. H.D. Mensing was installed as pastor and teacher.

1917 The second school building was dedicated August 12th.

1918 The first English service was conducted in February.

1918 First Adult Bible Class was organized December 10th.

1919 A new pipe organ was dedicated.

1920 The Rev. A.E. Miessler was installed as pastor and teacher on October 20th.

1921 Electricity was installed in the church, school and parsonage in April. An electric blower was installed on the pipe organ.

1921 Miss Selma Berkemeier became the first full time school teacher.

1922 The Walther League, church youth group, was organized February 22nd.

1931 The Sunday School was organized February 22nd.

1932 The first “Immanuel Bulletin” was printed.

1939 The newly erected “dining hall building” was used the first time January 15th.

1947 The first commissioned teacher was installed, Mr. Herman Ansorge.

1952 On May 4th, two morning services were inaugurated at 8:00am and 10:30am.

1955 Kindergarten was started with Mrs. Selma Mueller as the first teacher.

1956 The classes in school were divided into two rooms, lower room grades 1-4 taught by Mrs. Delores Wirgau, the upper room grades 5-8 taught by Mr. Otto Wirgau.

1957 Rev. A. Miessler preached his farewell service on January 13th, after 36 years at Immanuel.

1957 The Rev. William Gerike was installed on February 3rd.

1959 The hot lunch program was started in school with Mrs. Betty Doyle as first cook.

1963 The Rev. Jakob Heckert was installed on July 21st. He continued to serve the congregation until 1970.

1971 Rev. Francis Lieb was installed as pastor on July 18th, and served the congregation for three years.

1976 The Rev. Mark Mueller was installed as pastor on June 20th. As pastor he guided the congregation until 1979.

1982 The Rev. Lloyd Hackbarth was installed on August 29th as pastor.

1986 The annex to the church was dedicated.

1988 Rev. Warren Ruland was ordained and installed on September 11th as assistant pastor and principal.

1990 The Christian Activity Center (CAC) was dedicated in August.

1992 Mr. Duane Hingst, Executive Secretary, Missouri District of the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod, presented a certificate of approval from the National Lutheran Schools Accreditation to Immanuel Lutheran School.

1994 Mr. Roy Bohning was installed as the first full-time principal on August 28th.

1995 The Day Care Center was opened in August.

1996 The Rev. Dwain Sliger was installed as associate pastor on December 1st.

1997 With major repair & the addition of new ranks of pipes, the pipe organ was rededicated on September 7th.

1998 The first Saturday evening service was held January 3rd. This gave us three services each weekend.

1999 The formation of our Education Wing Task Force in order to expand our Day School.

2000 The beginning of school construction and the addition of the Worship Task Force.

2001 Pastor Sliger installed as senior pastor after many faithful years of service by Pastor Hackbarth. Added 9:30am service on Sunday.

2001 Lloyd Hackbarth served as interim principal for Immanuel Lutheran School.

2002 The founding of a Ministry Leadership Team to establish our Mission, Vision and Values which would guide our Ministry.

2002 Rebecca Hoskins hired as full-time principal. Preschool enlarged from one classroom to three. First cheerleading program instituted. First Student Council instituted.

2003 Called Christa Stec, Lay Minister, to serve as Director of Music Ministry and expand our current worship. Also, began the P&BC for the expansion program. We partnered with DCA for the design phase of our new sanctuary.

2003 Immanuel Lutheran Church joined the Lutheran High School of St. Charles County Association.

2003   First all-day Kindergarten began. Renovations to school playground were completed.

2003 “Garden of Grace” dedicated (school/church inner courtyard).

2004 LIFEnite was initiated.

2004 Added Rev. Jason Auringer to assist Pastor Sliger. Implemented Pastor Hackbarth to begin our Senior Ministry. In keeping with our Mission and Ministry, added a part- time Director of Christian Education and Director of Christian Outreach.

2005 Moved services to CAC to expand our worship ministry.

2005 Seventeen acres donated for new sanctuary on Highway N

2005 Rev. Auringer installed as associate pastor

2005 Saturday evening service resumed July 16th in Immanuel Lutheran Heritage Church

2006 Bryan Blackford called to replace retiring administrator, Becky Hoskins

2007 Groundbreaking for new worship facility on HWY N

2007 Dan Stec installed as Director of Next Generation Ministries (Family Ministries)

2008 Actual construction begins on new worship facility

2008 Pastor Auringer installed as Senior Pastor

2008 Implementation of 10 yr strategic plan begins, focusing on Worship, Day-school, & Families

2008 Allison Dolak replaces Bryan Blackford as school administrator

2008 Rev. Mark Sell added as pastoral assistant

2008 Building: Character… Community… Character – Capital Campaign launched

2009 June 28th First worship service in new facility located on 17 acres on Hwy N; The new location includes over 50,000 sq. ft. of classrooms and a 600 seat sanctuary.

2009 August 30th Dedication Service with Rev. Dr. Reed Lessing as guest preacher; nearly 500 attend service filled with music and praise. Outdoor carnival from Noon – 3:00 PM attracted hundreds to enjoy food, music, games and fellowship.